Wednesday, November 10, 2010

AmeriCorps keeps on giving!

I must say that AmeriCorps has helped me figure out my calling in life! Going into the program, i knew that i wanted to do something in the medical field such as a PA or a nurse practitioner working with children! Then, I figured out what really makes me happy in life, CHILDREN!! I knew this all along, but not to the extent that i would discover. Working with the pregnant moms on their concerns, joys, and excitements through pregnancy and after,  i finally figured it out. It's the joy of bringing a little one into the world that makes me the happiest! I think that thing that pushed me over was while visiting with the teen moms at the conference. This girl was about 5 weeks away from her due date and i had spoken with her before while doing the onesies. I, of course, asked if i could feel her baby kick if she started to move. When i felt that baby kick me and the excitment the mom and i shared, i knew this is what i wanted to do and pursue. She saw how excited i was and i think that it brought to reality that she was going to be having a baby soon and how exciting it was going to be. Granted, i have felt many bellies, but every time i feel a new kick that exciting and thrilling joy overcomes my body! It doesn't matter if it's the same mommy or a different one. I still get that 'owh my gosh, there is a baby growing in you, you have created a bundle of joy, and I can feel him/her!' Ahhhhh! I love it! I can't imagine what i am going to be like when i am married and pregnant! haha. I am that women that sees a pregnant women and rushes over to ask if i could feel the baby kick, im kinda like a kid on christmas when it comes to that. I usually explain that i am going back to school to become a midwife and the moms completely understand my "creepiness" for coming over and asking to feel her belly. What would i have done without AmeriCorps and my experiences through them?

I also need to remember that becoming a midwife will be a long and hard journey, but if anyone can do it, i think i can! I hope to be inspiration to those following their dreams and need the extra push to work towards it! When i was a freshman in college, i taped a little piece of paper from a real simple magazine that said, "find a job you love and you'll never have to work a day in your life," to my computer to remind myself that i need to do something that makes me happy! I have finally found that "job"!  Woooooooooooooo!

There is a girl I work with at my other job that is in school right now and wants to be a midwife as well. I love talking with her! She completely understands my excitement as i do hers! I don't know the right word for it, either weird, funny, a coincidence, etc. But she comes from a family where her dad is an alcoholic and never a father figure in her life. He was never there and they rarely speak. Sounds familiar doesn't it!  I wonder if our two experiences have helped us decide to become midwives? Our decision to celebrate children and find happiness in birth and children! or is it that we want children to be loved as much as they can because we weren't loved to our fullest and brushed aside? As of right now, i want the dad to be a major factor in the birth of his child. I want to show him how exciting it can be and how much this little thing will love him and how much he will love the baby! Obviously, i hope that same for the mother but it is a little different for a mother than it is a dad. I want to help him with the bond with this little bundle of joy and the excitement of having made such an amazing life! My experiences have definitely shaped me into the person i am today and who i want be in the future! I am grateful for those experiences the good and the bad!

No comments:

Post a Comment